Updating the firmware of your Sony RX100 pocket camera can be a bit intimidating due of the premium price you have to pay for the camera, you most certainly do not want to end up with an expensive paper weight, but not to worry, if you need some help then I am here to walk you through it.
The firmware update process is pretty straight forward if you are used to updating devices on your PC/Mac, and if you are new to updating your devices, then you should be fine as the instructions are fairly easy to follow.
As of this writing, the available firmware update for the Sony RX100 M3, M4, M5 is version 2.0 release date 3/30/2017.
Please note that these procedures should remain the same for future Sony RX100 updates, and the links below should also link you to the latest available firmware versions.
Sony RX100 Firmware Download Links:
The Links above will take you to the support page of the specific model of your Sony RX100, you simply need to click on Drivers & Software option, select your operating system, then you will see a firmware download link.
Firmware v2.0 Improvements over version 1.20:
- Improves operability with the MPK-URX100A Underwater Housing:
- Adds the Underwater Auto feature in the White Balance settings
- Adds the Flash Off mode when the Flash unit is popped-up
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 2.00:
- Improves the power-on time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application of the PlayMemories Camera Apps™
- Resolves an issue where the camera may not power-on in certain situations
Updating the RX100 Firmware
Before you begin the update process please do the following:
- Remove the memory card from your camera
- Check to make sure that your battery is fully charged
- Set the USB Connection option in your RX100 settings to Mass Storage (this option is found under settings #3 which is under briefcase settings icon)
- Ensure that you have the original Sony USB cable (use optional cable at your own risk)
1. Begin by downloading and running the correct version firmware for your Sony RX100
2. Connect the USB cable to your RX100 and connect the cable to your computer and follow the onscreen instructions.
Preparing for update
At this step you will need to perform the action of safely removing the camera hardware in Windows without actually physically disconnecting the camera from your computer. Click on the icon tray (the up arrow located in the bottom right of the taskbar) mouse over device icon and click to bring up connected devices, locate and click on the option under DSC-RX100 to eject.
Next you will need to select ok on your RX100, then click next in Firmware Updater window.
Final procedure, click on run to initiate firmware update.
If you made it through successfully to this point then your Sony RX100 should now be running the latest firmware, simply click finish to exit the updater.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, I will be more than happy to answer them. Happy shooting!